Holotopia: Five insights
- 1 H O L O T O P I A P R O T O T Y P E
- 2 Five Insights
Powered by ingenuity of innovation, the Industrial Revolution radically improved the efficiency of human work. Where could the next revolution of this kind be coming from?
The printing press revolutionized communication, and enabled the Enlightenment. But the Internet and the interactive digital media constitute a similar revolution. Hasn't the change we are proposing, from 'the candle' to 'the lightbulb', already been completed?
The Enlightenment was before all a change of epistemology. An ancient praxis was revived, which developed knowledge of knowledge. On that as foundation, a completely new worldview emerged—which led to "a great cultural revival", and to comprehensive change. On what grounds could a similar chain of events begin today?
Science gave us a completely new way to look at the world. It gave us powers that the people in Galilei's time couldn't dream of. What might be the theme of the next revolution of this kind?
The Renaissance liberated our ancestors from preoccupation with the afterlife, and empowered them to seek happiness here and now. The lifestyle changed, and the culture blossomed. How could the next such change begin?
The five insights form a whole
The black arrows point to a vicious cycle
Follow the black arrows in the Five Insights ideogram, to see that the anomalies they connect together cause or create one another:
- It is the power structure that created dysfunctional communication
- It is the lack of communication that keeps us in socialized reality
- It is by founding knowledge in "reality" that we ended up with the narrow frame
- It is by using the narrow frame that we mistook convenience for happiness
- It is our pursuit of convenience that makes us create power structures
The red arrows point to a benign cycle
Follow the red arrows to see that we cannot really change one of the insights they connect, without also changing the other.
- To stand up to the power structures, we must liberate ourselves from the socialized reality
- Our collective mind cannot be structured to federate knowledge, unless we have a method for doing that
- To liberate ourselves from socialized reality, our values need to be different
- To broaden the narrow frame, we must see and unravel the power structure that keeps it in place
- To step beyond convenience, we need a collective mind that federates knowledge
The holotopia strategy follows
We can now see why
The strategy that defines the holotopia naturally follows: Instead of struggling with the details, we focus on changing the whole order of things they compose together.
a comprehensive change can be easy, even when smaller and obviously necessary changes may have proven impossible.